[Yixing - Building a future-oriented concept WWTP and exploring the sustainable development of wastewater treatment]
Currently, the mainstream treatment process for wastewater in China runs counter to the idea of sustainable development, which is shown as:
1. Treatment process currently applied are still following the ones used in 1960s and 1970s;
2. High water quality of effluent is at the expense of huge energy consumption;
3. The resource recovery efficiency is very low;
China is the world`s largest market for wastewater treatment and Yixing has nearly 40% of that market share. It is time for us to reconsider the process for wastewater treatment. Yixing introduced the vision of building the concept wastewater treatment plant (WWTP) aiming for 2030-2040.
With the international cutting-edge technologies applying and displaying in concept WWTP China’s municipal wastewater treatment industry will embrace a new era with the core of sustainable development.
Base on the discussion from several workshops, the vision of the concept WWTP shall include but not limited to the following pursuits:
1. Making the effluent water quality meets the needs of water environment change and sustainable utilization of water resources.
2. Improving energy self-sufficiency rate for WWTPs and achieving zero energy consumption with codigestion with moderate exogenous organic waste.
3. Seeking reasonable material recycling and reducing consumption of chemicals.
4. Constructing a pleasant, harmony, environmentally and community friendly WWTP.
Challenges and Ambitions
In order to achieve the pursuits, the design of the concept WWTP should consider the predicted breakthroughs in treatment process, technology, material, and equipment. As an important infrastructure in Yixing, Concept WWTP should not only be concerned by technical experts and engineers, but also the government officials, architects and urban designers, to explore and build a paradigm for future WWTPs.
Building China Concept WWTP is a great cause which obeys the law of innovation, and covers the scope of putting forward the concept, research and develop, project demonstration and technology industrialization.